Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Busy Lazy No Real Excuse

It's been a long, long time since I wrote anything in my blog. So many things get in the way, including laziness, that I just haven't gotten around to it. I want to though. I do have one or two things to say that I think are important enough to say. So I think I will make myself write.

Over the next few days I'm going to offer you some thoughts on the Lord's supper. I believe the supper is one of the most important, faith raising/growing things that we have in this desperate age we live in. There is such a great push to get God out of our lives and country that we need something to help strengthen us so that we don't fall prey to unbelief. The supper is one of those things. So let me say just one or two things that might show you what I mean.

Plastic soldiers

When I was a small boy my older brother, Jim, and I would take our plastic soldiers outside, build some hills, valleys, even small lakes and forts. Once we had everything set up we would have wars. We would move our men here and there and direct them, each of us trying to gain the advantage in our little wars. Eventually we would end up getting in wars with each other because we never could decide who won the plastic battles and when. We would argue, wrestle, roll all over the ground and eventually get back to the plastic.

Fortunately, people are not plastic soldiers. We cannot really manipulate each other as we can toy soldiers. People are real. We all develop character of one kind or another. We end up with morals, dignity, drive. We interface with each other having relationships for the good or ill. We grow using our strengths and failing in our weaknesses. We are both whole and flawed. There are needs, wants, desires within us that are sometimes motivated by greed, but often by love. Through all of this there seems to be within us a desire for companionship, fellowship, community. It's stronger in some than others, but it's there. It's God given.

John says, "That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was made manifest to us— that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete." 1 John 1:1-4 ESV

John wants to share something with us. There is seeing, touching, holding, fellowshipping; there is a community thing he is suggesting to us. It has something to do with joy and completeness. It is found in Jesus, the Son of God and savior of the world.

Imagine yourself on a Sunday morning, gathering together with family and sitting together so that you can sup with Jesus. You sing songs and pray and eventually the bread and wine are passed and there is that closeness that we humans enjoy when we sit around a dining table to eat together with family. These are the things I want to speak of over the next few days. I hope they will be helpful to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home