Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Merry Christmas to Some

Twas the night before Christmas and the Village was quiet;
Not a gift would be given, no money to buy it.
No stockings, no chimney, no cookies were shared,
No Santa was coming, because nobody cared.

No mail was delivered, no Christmas cards read;
The child with Malaria soon would be dead.
No clinic around and no medicine either
And so the child died because he had neither.

So when Christmas came 'round, it was just one more day
Poverty and hunger made it that way.
So think as your child opens the sweet gift from you,
Poverty's child could have eaten if only you knew.

And remember as Santa roars out of view,
He didn't go to them, but he went to you...

Not a single child in the villages of northern Ghana ever thinks about Christmas because Santa had never visited them, not once, not ever.

Christmas, Thanksgiving and all those wonderful family and friends holidays mean nothing to children who barely get enough to eat each day. Over half of the village children never have the opportunity to go to school. They are busy each day working in the family's farm or going to the market place to sell something to try to help make enough money to by a little food so their family eats each day.

And me? I eat - too much. I drive my pick-up and visit my friends. I buy gifts for my family and others, but I also receive. I've been blessed above the vast majority of people in this world and I am just not thankful enough. What is wrong with me? Why don't I care? Why can't I share some of my blessings with those who have nothing? It can't be ignorance because I know better and now, so do you.

Help a child in Ghana West Africa. Give a small $10.00 or $20.00 gift to Ghana West Africa Missions through Paypal.




1 Comments:

Blogger Bob Chisholm said...

Thanks Si - Great piece. Did you write the poem?

Bob Chisholm

Wed Dec 15, 03:33:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home