Friday, July 24, 2009

Should I Write It Down?

One of the problems we have when we write things down and express our beliefs on a page, blog or even an oral recording is that it’s there for everyone one to see, I know, that’s the purpose of it. The problem, however, is that we are going to grow and change. We are not going to hold to those absolutes exactly as we did the moment we recorded them. The politician who makes a statement in a speech fifteen years earlier is held to that even though he may have given a hundred speeches since that say he no longer believes that. The Biblical scholar who writes a commentary based on what he believes at the time may discover he was wrong all along, but it’s been written and people have purchased the commentary. How does one correct such a thing? Or is correction needed?

If you have seen a picture of me when I was twenty and you see one of me today I will look much differently. You may not even think they are the same person. Maturity has a way of changing us. If someone I haven’t seen in twenty years meets with me today and we have a long discussion, I hope they will end up saying or thinking, he’s not the same man I knew twenty years ago. If I’m the same man, shame on me.

So, when you read my blog today and then read what I write ten years from now, should God grant me the time, I hope you will say something about me changing and maturing. Trust me; I really don’t look today as I looked when I was twenty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home