Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Days and Even Weeks

I often watch such shows as Cold Case Files and The FBI Stories, not those popular ones on the big networks, but the accounts of real cases and real investigations on TLC, Discovery or A&E. It amazes me how terribly wicked man can be. There have been shows about serial killers, rapists, thrill murderers and the like, as well as more "civilized" crimes like embezzelment or kidnapping. I watched one about a man who would kidnap women, take them to his home, tie them up, beat, rape and eventually murder them. He did it to several until one finally escaped and he was caught. I would scream to myself... "How can people act like that?!" Later, I would look into the mirror and understand.

Yes, we would rather have someone lie to us than shoot us, but what does the lying say about our character. Do you lie? I know I do. And how do we act at home when we are all alone? Do we just sit an read the Bible or do we find ourselves watching shows with swearing, thefts and murders? Why do we watch such things? Why are we drawn to them? Do you think it's because it is our character, our nature to do such?

I sin and I often use the excuse that I can't help myself. Flimsy, but perhaps it is true none-the-less. I John 1:7-10 tells me that I am going to sin. Is this a license? I think not, but it does say something about me. It says something about my nature and character. I am a sinner. I hurt my wife, my sons, daughter-in-law and grandchildren, as well as my friends, even strangers. My faith often ebbs and flows as the tide. There are days, even weeks when I am strong and feel good about myself and my faith. There are days and even weeks when I wonder if I have any faith at all. When I should be strong I am weak and miserable. I have to cry out as Paul did, "Wretched man that I am, who shall save me from this body of death. Praise God! It's Christ Jesus."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home